Thursday, June 26, 2014

Oh Boy! My First Mammogram!

I was supposed to get my first mammogram before my hysterectomy, but I put it off. I kept putting it off because I have no history of breast cancer in my family. With the exception of my grandfather, there was no cancer in my family AT ALL! He was a life-long smoker who died of lung cancer, though, so I kind of figured that was expected. 

So at my follow-up appointment, my OBGYN told me it was now more important than ever to get a mammogram so they could go ahead and rule out breast cancer. She reminded me that even though I didn't have a family history of breast cancer, there always had to be a first person. Just like even though I didn't have a family history of uterine cancer, I was the first. That made it hit home for me! She also told me that my oncologist would want to see that report, too. So as soon as I got home, I scheduled my first mammogram. The baseline. Thankfully, they were able to schedule me for two days later. And the dreading began...

My appointment was this morning. A friend of mine works at The Breast Center, and she was able to recommend a good tech. After filling out the required paperwork, I only had to wait about five minutes before being called back. The tech gave me a hanger and two hospital gowns and told me how to wear them. I sat down in the back waiting room, and about as soon as my butt hit the chair, she was calling me back. Talk about quick!

While I was getting ready that morning, I took my pain medicine because I thought it would help me to not be so sore after the testing. For that reason, I'm not sure how bad it would've normally hurt, but the testing today was absolutely painless. The tech took four slides, and I was done. I was surprised how quickly everything was over! 

The tech said she got good slides. My friend also reassured me when she said that if there was something odd on the slides, the radiologist would've immediately ordered more slides. The tech also said that it wasn't unusual to be called back later for more slides on baseline tests and to not be alarmed if I got a call. 

So now the waiting begins! We're praying for good, cancer-free results. But I'm not worried because God's got this!


No comments:

Post a Comment