Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Eating at Home: Day 1

I mentioned earlier today that we're going back to the "Eating at Home" plan since we're going down to one salary for a few months. Over the weekend, I made out a menu for January and a detailed grocery list. (Marc and I shop so much better and spend so much less when we have a list!) We were able to buy most of our list for less than half of our grocery budget. (Yay!) Now all we need to do is make a quick grocery shopping trip each weekend to pick up perishables. I can't begin to tell you how excited that makes me because I despise going grocery shopping.

It has been a cold and rainy day so I decided to make loaded baked potatoes for tonight. A few months ago, I discovered that you can make potatoes in a crock pot using this method. I was so excited, because while I love baked potatoes, I have always thought they were a pain to make. Now I just throw them in the crock pot, and four hours later, I have perfect baked potatoes!

I had butter, sour cream, and cheese for the potatoes. Sometimes, I also make bacon, but not tonight. I had also planned to make grilled cheese sandwiches, but Marc picked out some HUGE potatoes, and both of us nixed the sandwich idea. I'm sure we'll just have them later this week with something else.

So, we are one day down into our plan, and I'm feeling really good about being organized and saving money. Win-win!




No comments:

Post a Comment