Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Eating at Home: Day 8

We're still on a roll! Today was our 8th day this month to eat at home! 

It's been so nice to not have the nightly "discussion" over what we're going to eat. You know how it goes..."What do you want for dinner?" "I don't know. What sounds good to you?" "I'm not really in the mood for anything in particular." "Well, when you decide, let me know." And it goes on, and on, and on!

Now we make a menu and a grocery list, go grocery shopping on Sunday morning after church, and stick with our plan. No more nightly trips over the mountain to get take out, either. We were wasting a TON of gas doing that, even though we usually took Frank, Marc's new car. Between Frank and not going over the mountain twice every day, we've cut our weekly gas budget from about $150 to about $50. And, as a bonus, we've also been able to cut back on our food budget as well since we don't eat out every night. 

On the menu tonight was Crispy Shrimp Jambalaya. I found an awesome recipe for the shrimp on Pinterest, but I really didn't like the pasta and sauce that went with it. I like the spicy jambalaya so much more! I also made some garlic bread to go with it. It's so easy to make, which is perfect for Wednesday nights. (Did I mention that we have a faculty meeting every Wednesday afternoon?)

I'm going back to the trusty Crock Pot tomorrow night. I'm going to make a recipe that was passed on to me from two different friends. So excited to try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment